Celebrating Great Films


Monday, February 05, 2007

Basic Instinct 2

Basic Instinct 2Nowhere near the top 10,000 at time of writing.

I have never enjoyed a bad film as much as when I watched this. Not because it's so bad it's funny, no - I assure you that it is irredemably bad. But because I watched it with the "Bad Films Club," which is such a great concept that I thought I'd share it with you.

My local cinema is the Ritzy in Brixton, London. It's a wonderful cinema, with friendly staff and a kind of indie feel. You can bring your drinks from the bar into the screen, and when you're done watching the film you can retreat to the balcony café for some stone baked pizza.

The best part about it is that they often stray from the mainstream. The Bad Films Club was an example. The idea is that three comedians sit in the front row and take the piss out of an awful film. They encourage the audience to throw out cinema etiquette and get involved too. It's a combination of cinema and stand-up comedy, with the feeling of being with a bunch of mates in your front room.

And what a great film to have chosen! Wooden acting, idiot dialogue, wrinkly nudity, all directed with an enthusiastic lack of panache. I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment